Katherine M. Poldneff – Senior Counsel
New York University School of Law (J.D., 2004)
Vanderbilt University (B.A., 2001)
U.S. District Court, N.D. Ohio
- Professional/Civic Involvement
Katherine M. Poldneff focuses her practice at Kaufman & Company on complex commercial litigation and employment disputes. Her experience spans cases involving the False Claims Act, pharmaceutical pricing, Medicaid and Medicare fraud, fraud and breach of fiduciary duty in the healthcare receivables industry, securities fraud, defamation, and a variety of complex commercial contract disputes. She has also handled various employment discrimination matters both at the administrative and litigation stages.
Prior to joining Kaufman & Company, Katherine was a litigation associate at a nationally-ranked full-service law firm. Katherine obtained her Bachelor’s degree from Vanderbilt University, graduating cum laude and with honors from the College Scholars Program, with a dual major of English and Communications. She earned her Juris Doctorate from the New York University School of Law in 2004. While at New York University, she was a part of the Civil Rights Clinic, Employment Discrimination Section.
- Part of litigation team defending a large international law firm in a legal malpractice action brought by a Fortune 400 company related to the underlying trial of an employment retaliation case.
- Part of litigation team representing a large investment holding company in a legal malpractice action against a large international law firm related to the trial of an underlying federal court action alleging claims of fraudulent transfer/conveyance and breaches of fiduciary duty.
- Part of litigation team that successfully defended a private investment firm and favorably settled an action for breach of contract and fraudulent inducement related to a membership interest purchase agreement.
- Part of litigation team that brought and favorably settled a case in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York on behalf of a law firm against a former employee related to the employee’s misappropriation of trade secrets and confidential information and intentional interference with client relationships after his termination from the firm.
- Part of litigation team that successfully arbitrated a contractual dispute between two attorneys related to a co-counseling and fee-sharing agreement with respect to underlying class action cases.
- Part of litigation team that defended a minor league baseball team against a municipality related to alleged breaches of a Stadium Lease. Drafted the key Motion to Dismiss that resulted in the dismissal of the case in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, which then led to a favorable settlement of the remaining dispute pursuant to a mandatory contractual dispute resolution process.
- Part of litigation team that successfully defended pharmaceutical companies in multi-state, multi-defendant pharmaceutical pricing litigations involving both state and federal fraud claims based on Medicare and Medicaid law, as well as the federal False Claims Act.
- Part of litigation team that successfully defended indenture trustee bank in multi-party fraud action in the healthcare receivables industry.
- Part of litigation team that successfully settled complex commercial contract dispute involving the construction of a large, mixed-use real estate project.
- Part of litigation team that successfully settled complex contract disputes involving breach of fiduciary duty claims between and among the principals of a partnership and an LLC.
- Part of litigation team that successfully prosecuted and settled action based on fraud, conversion, and breach of contract on behalf of real estate development company specializing in FHA-insured, multi-family real estate projects.
- Part of litigation team that arbitrated and then successfully settled a complex commercial contract dispute involving various breach of contract and tort claims related to a long-term licensing agreement between real estate development company and a large international corporation specializing in sports training and marketing.
- Part of litigation team that successfully defended nationally prominent non-profit organization in case involving the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Part of litigation team that challenged hospital disciplinary action in sexual harassment matter and reached favorable settlement.
- Part of team that successfully represented Department of Veterans’ Affairs engineer in race discrimination case before the EEOC and ultimately led to successful recovery in federal court.
- Part of litigation teams that successfully defended clients in various other employment discrimination cases, including age and religious discrimination claims before the Connecticut Human Rights Commission and the Second Circuit.
- Part of litigation teams that both prosecuted and defended a number of complex commercial contract disputes.
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Women in Law Section Member
- Volunteer for CMBA/Federal Bar Association Reach out for Non-Profits Program